I’ve recently finished a self-build of a small (90m²) house in Brisbane. It’s been “running” for 2 years now. It’s in Brisbane.
TL:DR? See the time lapse of construction. Or there’s a photo gallery below.
Interesting parts of the house:
- Based on Passive House principles – airtight, heat-exchanger, passive solar design.
- Phase Change Material – thermal mass without the weight (BioPCM)
- Custom built benches from Cadagee trees felled on site
- Recycled flooring, deck and custom cabinetry
- Monitoring system for temperature and energy using IotaWatt and OneWire sensors
- Cypress framing and weatherboard (termite resistant without pesticide)
- Vapour-permeable membrane, with external polystyrene insulation; door blower test
Interesting parts of the process:
- built with French HelperX workers
- built a house as “skilled amateur”
- used BIM (Revit) for design, building, scheduling and takeoffs