This is the first thing to go on a tent. My snow tent was fine except for the seams – tape flaked off. I’m unsure if it’s PU or Silnylon.
Some good background is here.
I’m trying the following tapes:
- Tape for silicone Option 1
- Polyester with silicone adhesive.
- Is a sticky tape (no heat required)
- Stuck well to 2 layer goretex (inner side) – pulls off goretex on removal. Seems like a semi-permanent solution for goretex.
- Sticks well to silnylon. Can be pulled off with mild force. Semi-permanent solution here.
- Tape for PU
- Is not sticky
- Apply with iron (medium/heat for 5-10s).
- Bonds really well to 2 layer goretex (inner side) – pulls of goretex on removal (close to impossible to remove). Permanent on 2 layer goretex.
- Bonds okay to nylon (e.g. tent) but can be pulled off with effort. Seems like a ‘semi-permanent’ solution.
- Doesn’t bond at all to silnylon.
I’ve had success with this method on silnylon fabrics, using low-odour turps (some say mineral turps is required).