Notes on how to install and tune a HyperV VM running Ubuntu linux, for development. Did this March 2020. Did it on an older 6430u Dell and a brand new Dell laptop.
- Need Windows Pro and HyperV install. Use "Quick Create"with Ubuntu 18 LTS.
- Older machine, was too laggy. The newer machine was ok out of the box. This appears to help:
- Turn of power saving stuff ("C STATES") in BIOS
? In HyperC settings, check "Migrate to physical computer with a different processor version"
- Still not great but ok. A good check is moving a simple windows - it's jittery.
- Downgrading the Windows screen resolution to 1920x1080 and then the same for the VM improved performance of window rendering. Seems nicer
- Don't use auto login
- Select "fullscreen" for the first login
- In Settings>Display change to 200% if fonts too small, and change keyboard/etc via "region"