I wanna go ski touring in the european Alps in 2020 and needed to choose a rope:
- Half rope okay for crevasse falls and rapping, and maybe for very occasional protection (e.g. a little traverse). Half rope is tested to a few falls on 50kg weight. This is okay for low angle falls and crevasses (as the snow limits fall factor) but not good for rock or hard vertical.
- Twin rope is not tested on a single strand.
- Single rope okay, but heavier.
- 6mm static dyneema (e.g. Petzl RAD) would be okay, but can never protect a little climb and requires new skills (e.g. two biners for rapping).
- 2x 30m for two skiers, as you have to assume one or the other goes in.
- Use with prussiks and Petzl microtraxxion and tibloc.
- 8mm ropes are okay for use in microtraxxion and 7.8mm for ATC.
Hence I want 2x 30m of dynamic ~8mm rope.
- BD 7.9mm pro dry. 39g/m. Good option. 240 amazon, 233 trekkinn ($65 post), 260 in italy shops
- Edelrid Apus Pro Dry 7.9 44g/m. Good reviews. 9 falls.
- BEAL CORDA ICE LINE GOLD DRY 8,1 60m, 42g/m.
- Skimmer 7.1mm 36g/m. 5 falls. Less durable and below thickness for ATC. Review. Too thin for comfort and below ATC limit.